Our new friends G & L took us to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord to get a taste of Pennsylvania Dutch foods.
The delicacies included:
- Pickled Red Eggs – Pickled in brine with beet juice (lower left below)
- Pork and Sauerkraut
- Tomato Pudding – Tastes nothing like you expect. Sweet and no clear tomato taste.
- Filling – Mashed potatoes and bread mixed with butter, onion, parsley, eggs, milk, salt, pepper and other spices. Cooked like a casserole. (upper left below)
- Creamed Onions
- Shoo-Fly Pie – Molasses pie with sugar and flour topping. Even better with ice cream. (right below)
- Sasparilla Soda
- Red Maple Beer – Like root beer
In addition to the food, the gift store had all kinds of fun things including many locally produced items. The most impressive thing was the wood carving pictures, some of which were ten feet wide.
It’s difficult to tell from pictures, but these are 3D with a great deal of depth. The two angles and close up below give you some idea:
Imagine the time it took to do these! Artist Abner K. Zook was an amazing craftsman!
Image Credits: © Shady Maple Smorgasbord, Wikimedia Commons, Paul H. Byerly